I’m a list maker–whether it be a shopping list, an ever-evolving to-do list, or my places to visit bucket list. As a travel blogger, this last list is one that I am constantly scheming places to add and later cross off. As I draft this, I’m currently at 39 countries visited, and soon, I hope to have seen more.
So, without further adieu or waxing eloquently (un-eloquently?), here is the shortlist of where I’d like to visit sooner than later:
- All 50 U.S. state capitols: I currently have 9 left to hit.
- Cuba: I am hoping to see Havana before it catches up to modern city.
- Galapagos Islands: Turtles!
- Peru: Bring on Machu Picchu.
- Brazil: After the Olympics this summer, I’m looking forward to Rio even more.
- Antarctica: It’s the ultimate…and I do have a goal to hit all 7 continents.
- Iceland: Air Iceland’s stopover package in Reykjavik sounds amazing.
- Jordan: The historic architectural site of Petra seems unreal.
- Egypt: I really want to see the pyramids…should have gone several years back when I had the opportunity!
- South Africa: Friends went on an incredible safari…yes, please.
- Cambodia: Angkor Wat is absolutely at the top of my list.
- Vietnam: I’m curious to see the difference between Northern and Southern Vietnam.
With ever-growing inspiration and places I’d like to go, it’s almost impossible to want to revisit destinations I love. Yet there are places I want to be again. Places like Bora Bora, where we honeymooned, or Greece or Italy, which I’ve traveled to a couple of times but want to experience more.
As I pen this, I think of the Things To Do While Alive advertising campaign that struck me almost a decade ago when I lived in Sweden. Some items are checked off, and some of the items are still on my bucket list. I am thankful for these experiences, for the technology to capture memories (from my trusty Canon EOS! to Hipstamatic! and now my Sony and Instagram app), and for 5 senses to take in the world. Cheers to those places and people that have made impressions on me, and here’s to all of the adventures in store!